Day 7 RPI Thinking
Plenty of learning taking place after being away from the group, but an abundance of learning today and knowledge being share by our three facilitators.
Today’s topic was critical thinking in our reading. We were reminded of the Four C’s implemented into 21st century skills of Critical Thinking Communication Creativity and Collaboration. It was interesting to revisit the Manaiakalani Cybersmart Programme, the relationships still enforced between teachers, parents and learners where the outcome is for being cybersmart empowers learners as connected, digital citizens and confident decision makers.
The reason we were learning about critical thinking not only because it is mentioned in the curriculum and it makes our learned smarter to be reading information critical and also being digitally competent.
And learning more about AI, Gemini app and NotebookLM and the powerful set of AI apps available to our schools. We were using Infographics in our senior classes but have just been messaged to say our limit was used and that we would be given another lot from Aug 1st. Using AI as a tool and not as the substitute for our thinking and workload.
I learnt about the different levels of thinking through responding to text and being able to decode comprehensive vocabulary in text. Understanding the three levels which were Literal, Interpretive and Evaluative. Through viewing the examples there was a better understanding of how these were identified and used.
I remember the Blooms Taxonomy thinking frame and applying this in my earlier years of teaching. It will come out of the files and be implemented into my reading programme. I use have an Anagram of RUA ACE for my reading groups where each l;etter represented the levels of reading in my groups. Remembering Understanding Applying Analysing Creating Evaluating
.. I will endeavor to implement this into my planning and reading programme and use some of the many examples that were share with us today. I particularly enjoyed the visual interpretation of text and the example of I Do We Do You Do for figurative language..
Overall, another productive day of learning and trying to take in as much as the wise facilitators were presenting. Nga mihi nui to Aimee, Georgie and Jess..
It was lovely to have you back with us for Day 7, Seuga :) That's a really great point you've made about teaching critical thinking being important for literacy, digital literacy, and broader thinking skills. I love that you're planning on bringing Bloom's Taxonomy back into your programme. It's such a clear way of thinking about how the different levels of thinking build on each other, isn't it? And I'm glad you found those example resources useful. Looking forward to hearing if you've tried any since our last session, and how they worked with your kids.
ReplyDelete