Day 6 RPI Vocabulary and Decoding

 Vocabulary and Decoding

Fortunately after changing times and dates for this catch we were able to meet today Wataka 5 during a non-contact and learn more about the session which I missed because I was attending ToD June 19.

This is always one of my favourite topics and that is how to inspire students to learn new words after choosing a book of their choice. Learning new words, sounding them out, understanding the meanings and reusing these new words in conversation or to learn more about Vocabulary and Decoding.

Here are a few of the slides which I managed to save and share as I discovered that these are all useful activities to implement into class lessons which will encourage and challenge our akonga to learn. There are small notes which I made as I was listening to Kiri explain as we went along. 

Hyperbole

Place holder definition

Hit the vocabulary so that they can embed the new words


Connections game generated for our own learners

https://connectionsplus.io/create 


Vocab is visible



Read rebus - or brain teasers



Focusing on Tier 3 Science Focused words.

Be mindful of the hurdles.


Co build and write it in your own words. Semantic Webs  Dot to dot connections

Antenna Association. Frayer Models and four square adaptation Word in the middle Example Non Example 


 


More activities

Word consciousness

Questioning - Skill building

Matrix

High frequency morphemes


Building words from form - find or create a science version

Give them some strategies

 


Last term the focus was to have all students in my class reading for 10 minutes. This helped with a lot of the students going to the library, choosing books and then coming back to class and know that they had some serious reading to get through even if was only for 10 minutes. A challenge for some but a required skill for all.

Now that we have starfted week 2 of Term 2 our first focus was what do we know now about our chosen topics? And what do we want to find out about it. Our toipcs are Human Biology, Lost in Space, Living Things and Forces. These topics have a vast amount of vocabulary which is a good start for our students. I am hoping that I can implement the rest of ideas and resources which Kiri has shag=red in this Catch up session. Ka nui te mihi and thank you Kiri for sharing your valuable kowledge..



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profile Survey Reflection

DFI 9 - Revision

DFI Session 6 - Accessing Sites